Sunday, January 3, 2010

Homemade and handmade


socks finished!!!
Originally uploaded by elletrain
This has been a lovely weekend of making things! I finished my socks the other night. It's the first PAIR of actual sock-weight socks I've ever finished! Yay! I think they turned out quite lovely. They are using my favorite yarn, Koigu and I love doing the contrasting color on the cuffs, heels, and toes. I just ordered some beautiful Green Mountain Spinnery Cotton Comfort (wool & cotton blend) to make a pair of cabled knee socks. I'm so excited. I also started a cool cardigan project from the latest issue of Vogue Knitting.

In addition to finishing my socks, I also finished a chunky hat that has been in the works for a year. Ha. I made the original pattern and the thing turned out HUGE (read that last word in the voice of Tiny Elvis). I mean, even too big for my giant noggin. So, I restarted the hat making it up as I went and then after knitting only a couple of inches the lovely thing hibernated for a year. I love the finished project and good timing...this morning it's 15 degrees outside!!!


Enough of knitting talk, my latest addiction as of last night is homemade granola! Wow. I read about a recipe on one of the blogs I check out and decided to make my own. We're trying to get it in gear diet-wise after all the indulging during the holiday season, so this granola will be a nice healthy treat. It is NOT lacking in flavor and yumminess at all though. Super simple to make and yummy smelling as it bakes, the granola used stuff I already had in the kitchen. I didn't add any dried fruit this time, but I'm going to get dried blueberries for the next batch. I also substituted ground flax for the wheatgerm. Try it out...you'll be amazed!! Plus, it's a big savings from buying packaged granola. Cheaper AND better...you can't lose.

No comments: